Start of the 2013 Lake Padden Trail Half Marathon
(Bellingham, WA) This past December, the USA Track & Field Association (USATF) awarded Bellingham's Lake Padden Trail Half Marathon the national championship for 2014 based on a competitive proposal process. This honor and designation is a first for Bellingham and has drawn the most elite field ever assembled for a race in the area.
As the host, Bellingham has stepped into the limelight and will build upon the momentum of the national class Chuckanut 50K in showing the rest of the country this trail running mecca which has been one of the best kept secrets in the sport for years. With hundreds of miles of trails from Bellingham Bay trails to Chuckanut Mountain to Mt Baker that can be run year ‘round, it is no wonder the Bellingham community is proud of trails and will put on a stellar event.
"The community has been great coming together to support the race over the past 3 years" says race director Al Coyle. "Not only are we hosting a great community race, we are also hosting the USA Nationals Trail Half with some of the nation's top runners as well as some of the world's top runners."
100% of all race registration fees go to Rebound of Whatcom County. Rebound exists to bring hope and healing to kids and families whose childhoods have been tainted by abuse, poverty and neglect. At Rebound kids and families get a second chance to experience the memories many of us take for granted, knowing they are loved and supported, building trusting mentoring relationships with caring adults, exploring and restoring the emotional, mental, physical and spiritual aspects of life and becoming complete and productive members of a caring community.
Coyle explains his enthusiasm for the race, "The passion put into the race comes from knowing we are helping the kids who need it. Thanks to all the volunteers who are signing up, to the sponsors, to the race staff and especially the community for being so supportive. I am proud to be from Bellingham. "
There will be an Expo at the Bellingham Spring Hill Suites on Friday from 4-8pm, October 17th, in conjunction with packet pickup for the expected 350+ racers. In addition to the Expo, there will be a press conference with USATF representatives and elite runners at 5:30 pm.
The Lake Padden Trail Half Marathon race committee would like to express their appreciation to Title Sponsor Flora Health, Champion Sponsors Northwest Sleep Solutions and H&R Block, Shoe Sponsor Icebug, and Supporting Sponsors Superfeet, WECU and Bellingham Physical Therapy. A race of national caliber could not be conducted without these sponsors.
Elite runners committed (men):
- Mario Mendoza, Oregon (Nike) - 2013 Lake Padden Champion and US 10k Trail National Champion
- David Laney, Oregon (Nike) - 2013 Chuckanut 50k Champion
- David Roche, California (Nike) - 2014 and 2012 USATF 10k Trail Champion
- Drew Polley, Washington (Brooks) - 1:04 half marathon, 2:14 marathon, 2014 Seattle Marathon Champion
- Alex Varner, California (Nike) - 2 time Dipsea Champion
- Justin Houck, Washington (Seattle Running Club/Brooks) - 2014 Squak Mountain Champion
- Bret Ferrier, Utah (Unattached) - 2014 Hillbilly Half Marathon Champion
Elite runners committed (women):
- Morgan Arritola, Idaho (Salomon) - 2012 and 2013 US National Mountain Running Champion
- Megan Roche, California (Nike) - 2014 USATF 10k Trail Champion, 2014 USATF 50k Trail Champion, 2014 USA Mountain Running Team
- Megan Kimmel, Colorado (Asics) - 2012 and 2013 US 10k Trail National Champion
- Clara Peterson California (Nike) - 15:51 5k PR, 2014 Dipsea Fastest Female Time
- Jodee Adams-Moore, Bellingham (Scott) - 2012 Lake Padden winner and course record holder
- Maria Dalzot, Bellingham (La Sportiva) - 2011 North American Mountain Running Champion
- Christine Lundy, California (Unattached) - Five time USA Mountain Running Team, 2 time North American Mountain Running Champion, 2007 US 10k Trail National Champion, 2009 US National Mountain Running Champion, 3 time US Olympic Trials Marathon
- Paige Pattillo Washington (Unattached) - 2014 Hillbilly Half Marathon Champion
- Marlene Farrell, Washington (Seattle Running Club/Brooks) - 2 time US Olympic Trials Marathon qualifier
- Ameila Bethke, Washington (Unattached) - 2013 Lake Padden Champion
- Betsy Bies, Oregon (Unattached) - 2007 Nike Team Nationals Champion
- Emma Kertesz, Washington (Unattached) - 32:51 10k PR and USA Ekiden Team Member